Thursday, June 09, 2011

Another Way to See a Tree

Maryland is such a grand place in the spring.  All manner of flowering trees burst forth with blossoms. 

Columbia, Maryland (6 April 2009)

It is even more special after a nasty winter.  I must say that after living 15 years in Louisiana, I appreciate Maryland for its four regular seasons and the ways nature looks from one to the next.  The beauty and contrast of four seasons will be the subject of the next post.

When I drive into Baltimore to see the spring profusion, I often stop at Cylburn Arboretum.  In the 19th century, Jesse Tyson was the president of the Baltimore Chrome Works.  In 1863, he built a fine house on 200+ acres near the Pimlico Racecourse.  The City of Baltimore acquired the property and in 1982, the Preserve was renamed Cylburn Arboretum (http://www.cylburnassociation.org/).

The Tyson Mansion, Cylburn Arboretum (26 September 2007)

To one side of the Tyson house, you will find a number of Japanese maples.  The trees are expansive.  You can walk under their canopies to a bench and contemplate where you are…inside and beneath a spreading tree; in a park; on this planet.  I popped a few shots toward the light in the hope of catching something special.  This one hit such a note, it now graces my calling card…the Images and More logo, if you will.  I find it mysterious, exotic and evocative. 


Of course, every time I return to Cylburn, I try to improve on the shot and find I can’t even duplicate it.

P.S. – I just returned from my photo club’s annual dinner.  After nine monthly competitions, we have one more to select a ‘Picture of the Year’.  This shot earned the 2nd place award…a neat coincidence on the same day I decide to post the story behind it.

7 Comments:

At June 11, 2011 6:17 AM, Blogger Jack Vest said...

This shot would make for an interesting Rorschach Test. I see a microscopic view of some cellular structure.

What a great photo! Works on so many levels.

 
At June 11, 2011 7:28 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thanks. Glad you like it. I suspect if I changed all the green in the picture to brown or red, I can see the veins that nourish an organ deep inside a body. What else would you expect from a biologist?

 
At July 19, 2011 5:10 PM, Blogger William G. Coleman said...

I now have this as my laptop backdrop. And will teach with it too...the unconscious (?) feminization of Nature.

 
At July 20, 2011 9:01 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

'Unconscious feminization of Nature'? Tell me more. We don't call it 'Mother Nature' for nothing. Is it the curves that get your attention?

 
At July 20, 2011 9:03 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

To Bill - Thanks for using this on your laptop and teaching...I'm flattered.

Invoice to follow.

 
At August 18, 2011 6:36 PM, Blogger William G. Coleman said...

Oh, and, that Mike Tyson has a pretty good eye for homes. I'm changing my mind about the guy.

 
At August 18, 2011 6:53 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

JESSE Tyson, Bill. No relation. Nice to find you going through the Archives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home