Monday, April 11, 2011

Seeing Now: Photography since 1960 – Exhibit Thoughts

On April 9th, I went to a photography exhibit at the Baltimore Museum of Art - http://www.artbma.org/exhibitions/seeing-now/ 
 “Seeing Now: Photography Since 1960” had over 200 images…mostly black and white and the collection represented what one might expect from a period that underwent such social and political changes.  One can expect that a time that included war, civil rights struggles, the women’s movement and other ‘revolutions’ would produce art that challenged the concept of ‘art’.
Unfortunately, there were no take-away brochures or printed catalogues that added some words and guidance to the images.  A viewer with limited insights [like me] was left with only the brief wall postings that introduced the various rooms of work.   The cognoscenti, curators and critics, find pretentious words to describe the image, their impact, the photographer’s intent.  More often than not, the photographer’s own words regarding these aspects are absent and this viewer is left to wonder. 
As with any exhibit, I thought some of the shots were fascinating and provocative.  Others were images that were like many I have taken and tossed.  I was amazed that they were there on the wall in a major museum. 
I suspect this will be a recurring topic as the blog progresses and matures…what is art; personal taste; what makes a good photo; what makes a great one?  Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At April 14, 2011 3:28 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Ted, I like the questions you posed at the end of this blog. All are worth pondering and exploring. Beauty - and art - are in the eye of the beholder.

 
At April 15, 2011 8:34 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thanks. I suspect that's why my answers will be limited and subjective. I know what I like but so what? Maybe this blogging journey will open my eyes to more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home