Monday, April 04, 2011

The Right Place at the Right Time – 1 – The Majesty of Law

I’ve been a lazy photographer forever.  Part of that is due to being poor when I started and I couldn’t afford to take many pictures of anything since film and processing cost money.  Part of that comes from a preference to see as much as possible when I vacation.  We have never been the types that have the cabin in the woods or beach house that we return to every year.
If that was the case, I’d quickly see that there are certain times when the images will be more interesting…sunrise, dusk, fog, rain, for example.  Instead, I’ve been too much of a drive-by shooter.  It’s been like, “We have one extra day in Vancouver, let’s go to Stanley Park or dash over to Victoria Island and see what we can see (and we’ll make do with whatever light and weather we get)”. 
I learned long ago that serious photographers come upon a scene, gauge the conditions and plan to return when the light is best. If it’s the middle of the day, go have lunch, take a nap or explore other locations. Too many of us shoot when we’re there and keep moving…guilty as charged. 
However, we can get lucky.  And, if you think about what makes a good shot and train your eye to catch certain things, you will get lucky more often.  But sometimes, it won’t be about anticipation and preparation.  You will just be in the right place at the right time.   
In April, 2005, I was in D.C. on the first of what has become an annual rite of spring…wandering around with the camera, looking for images…enjoying the change of seasons, the magnificent sights in our Nation’s Capitol and the fact that I didn’t have to go to work anymore. 
In front of the Rayburn House Office Building are two, 10-foot, marble statues.  That the light struck this one just right was a function of the time of day, the weather and the season.  Another time of year and the sun will not be where it was that day.  Since our field of vision is much wider than the camera’s, we are aware of more of the building, the street, surrounding trees and sky.  You take a shot of the sun-lit statue and move on.
It’s not until later that you realize how the light and shadow contrast each other so well.  So many of the bright elements are next to dark ones and vice versa.   I have been back many times and it has never looked like it does here.  I guess the lesson is two-fold.  A good shot can happen to anyone at any time.  But, we can all think a little more about what we want and look for it when we’re out with the camera.  As Thomas Jefferson said, “I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”.
Majesty of Law, Washington, D.C. (5 April 2005)


3 Comments:

At April 07, 2011 5:42 AM, Blogger Ale Man said...

Ted, that's an impressive photo! I've walked past those statues maybe 50 times and never seen such a striking composition.

 
At April 07, 2011 12:48 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Hence the title of the post. I suspect if you were there on a sunny day in October instead of April, the sun wouldn't position itself that way. Thanks for your appreciation.

 
At April 07, 2011 1:22 PM, Blogger KrisACampbell said...

He looks as if the light woke him up! Wonderful shot -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home