Monday, May 02, 2011

Tip of the Day – Get out in the Weather

So much time has passed since the last posting on April 12th.  I have been distracted and diverted by taxes, spring chores, house guests, social and cultural events and the end of a long bowling season. 
I began this blog in the hope that it would promote my own learning and development in photography in general and digital processes in particular.  At this point, these other activities and my lack of discipline are working against progress.  Please bear with me.  There are 40 years of image stories to tell and much to learn. 
So, until I get my ass in gear, I offer this simple bit of advice – you don’t need a nice day to get a good picture.  Yes, full sunlight can brighten a scene and illuminate everything in front of your camera.  Bright sun can also cast interesting shadows.  However, I believe funky weather can make a shot much more interesting.  While going out in the rain or snow will require precautions for your gear, the results can be worth it.
I live in the ‘burbs and had a morning meeting in downtown Baltimore.  It was cloudy when I left home.  I brought along the camera to noodle around the city’s interesting waterfront afterward.  I was pleased to find it foggy around the harbor because this mood cannot be matched on a clear day.   
U.S.S. Constellation, Baltimore Inner Harbor (4 December 2006)

Fells Point Fog  (4 December 2006)


5 Comments:

At May 04, 2011 4:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

great pics, I love baltimore inner harbor great place and good eating.

 
At May 04, 2011 5:10 PM, Blogger KrisACampbell said...

This would be so perfect on the fron of a Xmas card -- something about that red ribbon made me think of the Holidays :) --
Wonderful picture, ted. All the vertical lines drawing the eye right up to that perfectly perched seagull -- did you put that bird up there? :) :)
Kris

 
At May 05, 2011 4:29 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

You have no idea how difficult those animal models are with their breaks and makeup and entourages.

 
At May 14, 2011 2:36 PM, Blogger ~james said...

Never seen The Constellation looking so well before!

 
At May 14, 2011 6:44 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

True. Fog adds something to a number of scenes. Even I might even look good in the fog...if I stood back far enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home