Saturday, October 10, 2026

2026 Midterm Election Thoughts # 2


I sometimes wonder why I do this. So few people read these screeds. I suspect by now, most of my readers already agree with these sentiments. While there were some on the mailing list who disagreed with my point of view, they unsubscribed many elections ago.

It isn’t just the Election Season that brings these thoughts to the fore. Sadly, my news junkie, history-loving, truth/fact-obsessed self has been scribbling mini outrages as they bubble up. Here are a few thoughts from 2025.

First Thing You Do – Within weeks of his inauguration, among the first things Trump did in his shakeup of the Deep State was fire federal agency inspectors general and the Pentagon JAG leadership. Destroy the integrity centers first; then screwing with the rest of the organization becomes much easier.


Mike Luckovich, Atlanta Journal Constitution

Gerrymander Backlash? – Does anyone else think that, with all the unprecedented mid-decade gerrymandering and Republican rigging of House districts in advance of the Midterms, this could backfire?

While they can pick their voters and concentrate them into distorted Congressional districts, that won’t help in state-wide contests. If there’s a god in heaven, she might make all those unrepresented Democrats, independents and fed-up Republicans band together and (provided the Dems field reasonable candidates) win state-wide elections in red states. I can see more governors and senators emerging to counter this movement to steal the House. That would be sweet.

Michael Ramirez, Las Vegas Review-Journal

Chuck Schumer or Chuck Norris? – Speaking of fighting, among the Democrats trying to shake me down is the Senate Minority Leader, Chuck Schumer. He and so many others. At this sad juncture, all Chuck can say is [1] So much is bad, [2] Trump is responsible for it, [3] This must stop, [4] but we don’t have the votes so, there’s only so much I can do [5] but would you send me money anyway?

I get periodic emails from one of our senators. It’s full of ‘fighting’ words – “abuses, corruption, lawlessness, illegal, unauthorized, unconstitutional, rigged.” Funny, if I did things defined that way, my ass would be in jail. I’m sorry. What I see and hear from the ‘loyal opposition’ is talking…not fighting.


Looking Ahead, Please Remember – During the eight-year period of Mitch McConnell’s’ first stint as Minority Leader (2007-15), FOUR different Senates had Democrat majorities…one as great as 59-41. Yet, that man still controlled the agenda, filibustering and thwarting administration appointments. But poor Chuck is helpless in the face of a 47-53 minority.

As this election gets closer and some Democrat candidates look like they might pull off upset wins, expect them to be questioned about whether Schumer should be Majority Leader…a good question. If there’s anything our free press likes to do, it’s to stir up some intra-party conflict.

Grow a pair, Chuck. You say it, but you’re not fighting. Instead of moving your glasses down your nose to read some narcotizing position statement, you need to take your glasses OFF because we’re about to fight.

Again, not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home