Sunday, December 25, 2016

Shot of the Day – 2 – Winter Cattails

Spending the holiday in Wisconsin with Beck’s family. They had a serious winter blast here last week…snow and temps well below zero. Needless to say, the snow that fell last weekend is still on the ground.

When I was a biology grad student here in the early 70’s, the winters were particularly nasty. One year, Milwaukee went over a month of consecutive days when the temperature didn’t go above freezing. As a field biologist, I couldn’t stand the thought of living in a place where almost all living things either hibernated, moved away or died.

After I moved on and traveled around the country more, I came to appreciate Wisconsin for its natural beauty and progressive society. And as a photographer, I can still appreciate a simple winter scene. This was taken in front of the in-laws’ house.

Winter Cattails, Krakow, WI (23 December 2012)

3 Comments:

At December 25, 2016 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It reminds me of several images I took in the snow while exploring Red Rocks park in Colorado some 35 or so years ago. I was using Ektachrome then.

~james

 
At December 25, 2016 7:18 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thank you, James. We date ourselves when we use words like 'Ektachrome'...but I appreciate anyone who likes the idea of taking the camera out in the winter. Keep shooting.

 
At January 15, 2017 12:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

What a great photo.... This should be on a calendar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home