Wednesday, September 21, 2016

When I am King - Update

Time for a couple of notes that relate to what will happen when I am in charge.

Agnes – by Tony Cochran

Another of my pet peeves – abuse of handicap parking privileges. It is very frustrating seeing perfectly healthy-looking individuals park in the few spaces close to entrances. I know. I am in no position to judge someone’s health and fitness from a distance. I have never approached anyone to question their right to use the mirror tag.

But police occasionally do. Every now and then, our cops stake out the dedicated spaces and lo and behold, they issue a bunch of summonses to people who borrow the tags for their own deceitful, lazy-ass purposes. The tags are then confiscated and the perp has to explain to his poor grandma that she has to reapply for one because of his irresponsibility. As with some of my Rules of the Road proclamations, I suggest a second offense will have us take your car.

Maryland Disabled Driver Parking Tag (21 February 2013)

Three years ago, I posted a promise to ban all anonymous internet posts. We call them ‘Trolls’, those chicken-shit scumbags who post the vilest comments and threats, especially to women. When I am King, writers will have to use their real names so we all would know who they are.

That was just my third proposed Edict as the thought of ruling a nation was still gestating. The post did generate more comments than my usual, unpopular scribblings. All were positive except for this little ditty…from, you guessed it, ‘Anonymous’ – “Thankfully, you won’t be King anytime soon ass hat”. Perfect. I replied, thanking him (you KNOW it was a ‘him’) for visiting and helping make my point.

Recently, the Washington Post had a story about a legal news website that decided to eliminate ALL comments because too many were inappropriate. The story noted that a 2014 survey of the 137 largest U.S newspapers found 49 percent did not allow anonymous comments and nine percent had no comments at all. A few days later, National Public Radio also eliminated the comment section that followed stories on its web site.

The loss will be the absence of insightful contributions to news and commentary. The gain will be some semblance of civility that these modern times sorely need.

I’d rather be an ass hat than an asshole.

Vote for me for King.

4 Comments:

At September 21, 2016 5:40 PM, Blogger Pam (Marnocha) Janssen said...

Prosit! You'd have my vote.

 
At September 22, 2016 1:22 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Great! That makes about a dozen so far. You would be much better at the job than me since one might detect a misanthropic thread in my rantings. Maybe you can be my Minister of Human Relations. Thanks.

 
At September 23, 2016 12:22 PM, Blogger David Bauereis said...

You have my vote as long as you don't take my handicap hangtag. Wish I didn't have to use it.

 
At September 23, 2016 2:41 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Not to worry, David. The parking spaces are supposed to be for people who need them...not scumbucket frauds who don't care about folks with special needs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home