Thursday, August 18, 2011

Places 2 – Arlington National Cemetery; 16 August 2011

I know.  You see a disturbing trend in my topics lately.  While it’s easy to believe that my preoccupation with cemeteries is creepy, I’ve tried to justify it from historic and aesthetic perspectives.  But today was just plain special.

I was ready to go off in other directions…and I will…later.  Today, I attended my first military funeral at the crown jewel of our national cemeteries.  Having said that, I realize I can take this essay in any number of directions. 

This is, ostensibly, a photography blog and I can wax poetic about trying to capture that iconic view of a field of identical markers that are perfectly-spaced among grand trees and go on forever.  Getting that image just right involves composition, the right light from the right direction, the absence [or inclusion] of people, depending on the kind of image you seek, and other considerations.  We’ll have to do that later.

Arlington National Cemetery (3 April 2011)

I certainly could sing the praises of Arlington National Cemetery as a must-see place for anyone interested in our nation’s post-Civil War history.  You can find two presidents, four Supreme Court Chief Justices and scores of military heroes among the 330,000 graves there.  I could rail against our current war time situation since there are many new graves at Arlington being filled too soon.  Not here.  Not now.

I did not know Charles DeShields very well.  He was one of many guys I see at the gym in the morning and almost nowhere else.  The one time we met at another place, I joked that I didn’t recognize him with his clothes on.

Col. DeShields on the caisson that carries him to the grave site

He was always friendly and amiable and, while I knew he served in Viet Nam, I had no idea he was 80 years old.  He served in the Korean conflict as well.  I’m sure that was no cakewalk in the newly de-segregated army since Mr. DeShields was one of the darkest men I have ever known.

Folding the Flag

This is not a sad story of early loss or lifelong damage from war.  Charles was a great soldier.  He was one of the most highly decorated pilots of the Viet Nam era, having earned three Distinguished Flying Crosses and 29 Air Medals.  I was told the North Vietnamese had a special bounty out for ‘The Black Colonel’ when he commanded 3,000 troops in the 82nd Airborne Division.  After retirement, he went on to a successful second career in business.  He was married to the same woman for 56 years.      

Presenting the Flag

Anyway, he was a really nice guy…always positive and engaging.  It was important that we be there when they laid him to rest.  Besides, it allowed us to witness this fine ceremony.  The precision and choreography of a full scale military funeral is special…not that I wish it on anyone.  However, at the end of a long, distinguished life, it’s an exceptional way to say good-bye.

Final Salute

12 Comments:

At August 18, 2011 4:23 PM, Blogger Dave said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 18, 2011 4:24 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Very nice essay, Ted. I shot at Arlington at the funeral of a former student (Darrell Lewis, '95/Afghanistan '07). That one was VERY sad, as he left a wife and two young children. When I was back last spring Section 60 was much fuller, which was also pretty sad.

 
At August 18, 2011 6:07 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 18, 2011 6:11 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

You're right. That's a very different story. Sorry about that. You help guide a kid through those improtant, formative years and it ends like that. I see all the new graves in Section 60 and despair at the waste and ultimate hopelessness of this war. But I couldn't go there for this story. Thank you for reading it and for your reply.

 
At August 19, 2011 8:57 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Ted. I appreciate your sensitive treatment of Charles. I found him a wonderful man and had many great conversations with him. I wish I had know you were going as I probably would have hitched a ride and joined you. I found his memorial service at Ft Meede very meaningful and I am sure I would have found this funeral that as well. Funerals are sad but they are also good for us in that they force us to face our finitude and contemplate the domain that is God's alone.

 
At August 19, 2011 10:35 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thanks, Paul. Sorry we didn't connect on that day. Also sorry I missed his service...and that I didn't talk to him more when he was around.

 
At August 19, 2011 10:49 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Great capturing of this most respectful, humbling event...

 
At August 27, 2011 2:44 PM, Blogger ~james said...

Kind of both a goodbye and a eulogy together. I now kind of wish that I could have met this brave and gentle man. Your words and pictures together paint a very lovely image. Thank you!

 
At August 27, 2011 5:46 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thank you, James. Kind words indeed. Every headstone tells a story.

 
At May 25, 2014 2:17 PM, Anonymous Karl Camp said...

Hi Ted. I found your blog by accident while researching a photo. Based on this post, I'm pretty sure it's yours :)

After finding it on multiple websites without attribution, I used it (cropped) on my FB page. Afterwards I found your blog. Do you mind me using it? (The link to my usage is here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203137523131637&set=a.2900885753923.2138992.1013790446&type=1&theater). If so, I'll take it down. Thanks in advance.

 
At May 27, 2014 1:17 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Karl - I appreciate the contact and have no problem with the use of the image since you attributed it to me and this blog. Thanks for the reference. Otherwise, I remain curious about where else the shot might be seen. Thanks.

 
At May 27, 2014 1:17 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home