Monday, August 08, 2011

The Dead Presidents Quest Begins - # 33 – Harry S. Truman

So now you know that I have this interest in history, photographing cemeteries and making complete collections.  The Dead Presidents Quest became a way to immerse myself in all three pursuits.

It began in earnest in July 1998.  We made a quick, weekend trip to Kansas City.  It was my birthday and our Orioles were there to play the Royals.  We were going to find some good jazz, eat one of their famous steaks and watch our Birds lose another one.  The rest would be gravy, as they say. 

On the afternoon of the game, we visited the Truman Library and Museum in his home town of Independence, MO.  Like all presidential museums, there are photos, documents and memorabilia that highlight the man’s times and accomplishments…and Truman’s times were interesting.

Harry S. Truman Library and Museum, Independence, MO (11 June 2008)

I recall after he left office, some ‘authorities’ regarded him lightly and placed him quite low on the list of presidents and their achievements. This is no longer the case as his decisions fared better with the passage of time.  On top of that, it appears the man was a bowler and any president who rolls a few can’t be all bad in my book. 

Poster of our 33rd President in the bar at Brunswick Lanes, Columbia, MD (12 July 2010)

As you wander the Museum complex, you will find Harry and Bess are buried in the courtyard.  It was then that I pondered where the other presidents currently reside…thus the Dead Presidents Quest was born.  In the years that followed, I made time to visit the graves that were close to home and business or vacation locales.  After retirement, there were road trips dedicated to finding graves.


Harry S. Truman
33rd President; Served 1945-1953

Born: May 8, 1884, Lamar, MO
Died: December 26, 1972, Kansas City, MO
Grave Location: Harry S. Truman Library, Independence, MO
Dates Visited: 8/1/1998; 6/11/2008

I should have known this was not an original idea.  If you Google “Presidents Graves”, you’ll get over ten million hits.  Some media-savvy folks have had the same quest and produced informative web sites.  See Manus Hand’s ‘Dead Presidents’, Kurt Deion’s Historic Sites and Dave’s Presidential Graves by Dave (I couldn’t find his last name).  While these sites include personal stories and photos of the authors in front of the graves, they also link up with other sites on the subject. 
P.S. - You won’t be seeing any pictures of me in front of a grave.

Finally, there is also a book on the subject.  Brian Lamb, the founder of C-SPAN wrote ‘Who’s Buried in Grant’s Tomb: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites in 2000.  He had noted historians Douglas Brinkley and Richard Norton Smith contribute historical tidbits to the work but my pictures are better (…he said modestly).

Clearly, I am not plowing new photographic ground here but this was a terrific endeavor that got me to see some wonderful parts of the country and allowed me to learn much about our nation’s history and its leaders.  In the future, when I am short on new photography issues to discuss, I will post images and stories related to finding and documenting our presidents’ graves.  I hope you won’t mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home