Friday, November 10, 2023

Tip of the Day – Play With Reflections - Part 1

Sylvan Lake, South Dakota (14 September 2014)

I consider myself to be a documentary photographer. I try to capture what I see in front of me.

The images I like best are ones that can also express the feel or mood of the scene. They are rare. Of course, it helps to frame a subject nicely and make it look as good as possible but to move up to the ‘fine art’ category requires more knowledge and skill than I possess.

That said, one can venture toward the expressionist and abstract with no additional technical know-how. ...just by pointing the camera in another direction.

Washington, D.C. (23 July 2015)

The results can range from duplicating an object or scene to distorting it slightly or completely. Calm water and modern building fronts are common and easy ways to capture reflected scenes. The next couple of posts will include shots that illustrate what reflected light can give you.

Adare Morning, Ireland (17 February 2011)

Early morning on a calm winter day in
rural Ireland. The bare tree makes for a much
better subject reflected on this flooded pasture.

Huntington Gardens, Pasadena (12 March 2017)

On this day, the pond-side sculpture of a curious child was
pointing at a live sunbathing turtle...as was the reflection.

Jackson Lake, Wyoming (May 1995)

I prefer this image of entire mountains reflected in the still water. Another perspective would be one solely of the reflected view of the mountain. I like it even better when it’s flipped.

Jackson Lake, Reflected and Turned (May 1995)

Happy shooting.

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2023 5:42 AM, Anonymous Jack Vest said...

LOVED this! I know a lot has to go just right to get it right. I've tried without much success. Thanks for sharing.

 
At November 20, 2023 10:08 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thanks, Jack...although I still think (apart from framing the composition) there should be little more than trying to include the reflected part. The fun parts will show in Parts 2 & 3.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home