Thursday, October 27, 2022

2022 Midterm Election Thoughts – # 1

I recently acknowledged to friends that I have four favorite days every year…Christmas, my birthday, the day the pool is closed for the season and the first night of league bowling. Although Election Day is not an annual date, it is by far the most important day when you understand that it represents our one chance to appoint people to represent us and run our government. I have not missed an election since I first became eligible in 1968…and pulled the lever for Tricky Dick…the first of a number of regrettable votes.

As we approach Election Day November 8, I am concerned about turnout, results and what will follow, especially if Republicans gain control of Congress.

By Drew Sheneman (Newark Star-Ledger)

I am disappointed to see that many of the same concerns I had two years ago (Election Thoughts Part 1, Part 2 and Covid Addendum) are still front and center this year. Partisan polarization, ignorance, Donald Trump, inept Democrats and evil Republicans again set the stage for a critical vote that not enough of our citizens will take seriously.

Prickly City by Scott Stantis

Although I don’t think I can improve on what was posted two years ago, there have been a few outbursts to friends and responses to solicitations that are worth collecting here. I tried to compose one or two cogent essays but gave up. There will instead be a series of briefer posts. I hope it will be clear I am not a fan of either party and long for the days when Election Day was a celebrated democratic exercise that led to peaceful transfers of power and honest, cooperative efforts to address the nation’s issues.

Dream on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home