Sunday, May 11, 2014

Places - 5 – The Great Smoky Mountains



We’re continuing our month dedicated to Bill Coleman and his ‘Enough-Dead-Presidents-Already!  Give-Me-Pretty-Pictures!’ request.  Since the last post included the shot from Cades Cove, I am prompted to wax lyrical about one of the finest places in the country.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a jewel in the National Park system.  I believe it is one of the few eastern parks that can rival the western gems like Yellowstone and Yosemite. 

View from Clingmans Dome (20 October 2008)

Known for its biodiversity, this southern Appalachian Mountain preserve is home to over 17,000 documented plant and animal species.  Thousands more are certain to be discovered.  Designated a World Heritage Site, there is probably no other temperate forested area on the planet with as many different types of living things.  This is because the mountains are very old and life was never interrupted by the glaciers that covered the northern part of the continent.  That plus the altitude of the mountains make the area a complex overlap of southern and northern species where all find habitats to thrive.

Smokies Stream (13 June 2005)

I prefer overcast days for pictures like this. Bright spots
and shadows would detract your eye from the depth and
lushness of the scene.  A tripod is an absolute necessity
since the light is so dim.  A longer exposure is required.

As I noted in the last post, we’d been to the park several times before, but the day most of these shots were taken was extra special.  I had shed the work-a-day life just a few months earlier and I was on my very first solo road trip.  New car.  New camera.  My Third Act was off to a great start.  I was hauling my bowling balls to Baton Rouge for a tournament and visiting friends and Dead Presidents on the way.  The euphoria of knowing I did not have to be back at the desk on Monday was palpable.

After a night in a motel just outside the park, I got up and out with the early light...because those ‘magic light’ hours right after sunrise and before sunset are when the best pictures are taken...except when it’s raining.  So what, I say.  Rain and clouds and mist and fog can make nice pictures as well.

Up in the Clouds
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (13 June 2005)

The above shot was made on the way to Clingmans Dome...the highest point in the park where one can see for miles in all directions.  On this day, you barely saw the next tree over. It’s the roll of the dice when you plan only one day at a special place.  It could be a pristine, crystal day or you could be socked in.  You pays your money, you takes your chances”.

Wet Wall in the Smokies High Country
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (13 June 2005)

After the anticlimax of Clingmans Dome in the fog, I made my way down to lower elevations. Before I left the park, the rain stopped and the lush, late spring forest looked wonderful.  The park gets abundant rainfall so the growing conditions are ideal.

All Green
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (13 June 2005)

For as long as I have been taking pictures, I have 
tried to make the definitive forest photograph. For me, 
the hard part is capturing the depth and full grandeur 
of the scenes.   This one comes closer because the forest 
floor is so uniformly covered with fresh ground cover.

Some will hesitate to visit the Smokies because the easiest places to stay if you’re not a wilderness camper are in tacky, tourist towns with lots of t-shirts, fudge and plastic stuff.  Deal with it and go with the flow.  Avoid the summer months if you can but even if you can’t, the park is worth it.

6 Comments:

At May 11, 2014 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, Ted. Thanks for sharing not just pretty pictures:)

 
At May 11, 2014 4:12 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Very nice, had a similar trip about six years ago, several days camping en route to a conference at Vanderbilt .

 
At May 12, 2014 8:24 AM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thank you both fort visiting and the compliments. Several days in the area would have been nice, Dave. I need to learn to slow down and stay longer in places like this.

 
At May 16, 2014 6:15 AM, Blogger Sturdy said...

Great pics! The last one, "All Green", reminds me of hiking the AT through the Smokies (too many years ago). Mile after mile was so lush and green. Thanks

 
At May 16, 2014 6:06 PM, Blogger Ted Ringger said...

Thanks, Bill. I like it when a shot evokes a memory. 'Lush and green' are some of Nature's best attributes. I write this from Reno where NEITHER is evident.

 
At June 01, 2014 3:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like the lush and green picture. I favor green and leafy while Katie likes the flowers. It is a good balance.

The last time we were in that park was way too short and we need to get back there to do some hiking... But I am very happy we can go to Yosemite every year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home