Saturday, March 08, 2014

Passed Presidents - # 27 – William Howard Taft

What do I do with my plan to post a president’s story on their anniversary date when two of them have expired on the same day? Post two stories. I could wait until next March 8th but we’re on a roll.

The Long’s of Louisiana, the Kennedy’s of Massachusetts and the Taft’s of Ohio...three of America’s dynastic political families. William Howard Taft, our 27th president, son of Alonso Taft, a prominent Cincinnati lawyer and U.S. Grant’s Attorney General, died on this date in 1930. The president’s son, Robert, was a powerful senator and three-time presidential candidate in the 40’s and 50’s. His grandson, Robert, Jr., also served in the Senate in the 70’s. His great grandson, Robert III, was a two-term governor of Ohio just seven years ago.

From the time Taft began to study and appreciate the law, he wanted to be on the U.S. Supreme Court. Ever since Helen Herron Taft was 17 and visited the White House, she wanted to live there. Together, they achieved their goals.

The Taft Grave, Arlington National Cemetery (8 August 2005)

Helen was smart, independent, probably more political than her husband and very ambitious. She was a strong advocate for equal rights and often worked closely with her cautious, deliberate (some say indecisive) husband. I could summarize their careers in the form of an imagined dialogue between the two.

Helen (age 17) – “I just returned from a week in the White House. My daddy and President Hayes are old friends and look how far Mr. Hayes has gone. I’ve decided my life’s ambition is to be First Lady and one day, live there.”

She met and married Bill eight years later and he rose through city and state judicial positions.

Bill – “Nellie! You know I’ve been on the Ohio Supreme Court for only two years but President Harrison wants me to be his Solicitor General. It means we’ll have to move to Washington but...”
Helen – “Take the job, Bill.”

Bill – “Well, Harrison is out and so am I. It’s back to Ohio to sit on the federal Court of Appeals”.
Helen – “If we must.”

Bill – “Nellie! President McKinley wants me to be Governor General of the Philippines. We just won the colony from Spain and General MacArthur [Douglas’ daddy] believes that the flogging of the natives should continue until morale improves. How ‘bout we live abroad a while?”
Helen – (It’s not IN Washington but it’s FOR Washington) “I’ll start packing.”

Bill – “Didn’t we do a great job there, Babe? I set up a civil government and judiciary...built roads and hospitals. Gave the people what they wanted and gained their respect. You showed sincere interest in the local culture and invited Filipinos to all your affairs. President Roosevelt knew I always wanted to be on the Supreme Court and those two offers he made were tempting but we had a job to complete here and...”
Helen – “(...and I’ll NEVER get to live in the White House if your big butt is in the Supreme Court.)”
Bill – “...we stayed. But now, Teddy wants me to be his Secretary of War...right there in his Cabinet. We can’t go back to Ohio just yet. There will be lots of meetings at the White House...”
Helen – “On my way...”

President Taft’s foot stone, Arlington National Cemetery [14 November 2013]

Bill – “Teddy’s such a popular president...and we get along so well. He said he’s not going to run for re-election in 1908.”
Helen – (I knew that. That’s why I’ve been urging him to promote YOU as the party’s nominee. I was so aggressive, he doesn’t like me anymore. He’ll get over it.)

Bill – “Teddy’s been grooming me and thinks I could be the guy to carry our progressive Republican agenda forward. It’s not my favorite job and I really want to be on the Sup...”
Helen – “Listen, Jumbo. You’ve had a nice ride and you’ve been given a shot to be the BIG KAHUNA...and you’re not sure!?!? This is what I have wanted and kept in front of me for the last 30 years. Be a good little husband and grant me my lifelong wish.”
Bill – “Yes, Dear.”

I made fun here but Helen was a great First Lady. She was active, involved and courageous. She hired many African-Americans to fill White House positions. She displayed many of the Asian artifacts she brought from the Philippines. Too bad she suffered a stroke in her first few months and was much less able and engaged after that.

Helen Herron Taft
[Copied from Google Images]

Taft’s term was unremarkable. Yes, he busted a few more trusts and gave us the income tax and all those D.C. cherry trees but in other areas, especially with regards to conservation, he no longer followed Roosevelt’s interests. His relationship with Mentor Teddy soured. Taft was weary of the job and even willing to step aside and wait for that shot at SCOTUS but Helen was not ready to leave the White House. She was recovering and wanted another round on the Big Stage.

In 1912, the Republicans nominated Taft. Impulsive Teddy just had to jump in with his own Bull Moose Party which split the vote that ensured Woodrow Wilson’s victory. Bill achieved the distinction of being the incumbent president with the lowest percentage vote in history.

The story needs a happy ending. William Howard Taft was best at being a judge and Warren Harding granted his wish. After being the 27th president, he became the 10th Chief Justice of the United States...a fine and fitting capstone on his career.

Taft Bust in U.S. Supreme Court (14 November 2008)

He served on the Court for ten years before ill health forced him to retire. He died only a month later and became the first president to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I have visited him a few times as I enjoy walking around Arlington with the camera. The hills, blooming trees and fields of identical grave markers are a visual and sobering pleasure.

William Howard Taft
27th President; Served 1909-1913

Born: September 15, 1857, Cincinnati, OH
Died: March 8, 1930, Washington, D.C.
Grave Location: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
Dates Visited: 10/15/1999; 8/8/2005; 11/14/13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home